- Paris, City of Light…and Contemporary Art?
- Casino History: The History of Las Vegas's Paris
- Vincent van Gogh art ALIVE – Atelier des Lumières (Paris, France) STARRY NIGHT
- An Architect Reviews: Cyberpunk 2077's Night City
- The Making of Paris, Part 7: From the Trente Glorieuses until Today (1945-Present)
- INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT PARIS!
- Paris and Provence
- Rainy Dusk, Paris by Thomas Kinkade
- Toulouse-Lautrec and the Stars of Paris
- PARIS 1328 / SAISON 2: Et si le Paris moderne était téléporté au Moyen-âge?
A shimmering account of the nineteenth-century reinvention of Paris as the most beautiful, interesting city on the planet
In 1853, French emperor Louis Napoleon ushered in a vast and also enthusiastic program of public works in Paris, directed by Georges-Eugène Haussmann, the prefect of the Seine. Haussmann transformed the old medieval city of repulsive shanty towns as well as disease-ridden alleyways into a "City of Light" characterized by broad boulevards, home blocks, parks, squares and also public monuments, new rail terminals and also outlet store, and also a new system of public cleanliness. City of Light graphes this fifteen-year job of metropolitan revival which– despite the disturbances of battle, revolution, corruption, and insolvency– set a design template for 19th and very early twentieth-century metropolitan preparation as well as produced the long-lasting landscape of contemporary Paris now so well-known around the globe.
Lively as well as interesting, City of Light is a publication for any individual that wants to know exactly how Paris ended up being Paris.
- Publisher:Basic Books; Illustrated edition (October 9, 2018)
- Hardcover:224 pages
- Item Weight:10.4 ounces
- Dimensions:5.75 x 1 x 7.75 inches
- Best Sellers Rank:#810,147 in Books
- #285 in Paris Travel Guides
- #634 in Urban & Land Use Planning (Books)
- #969 in General France Travel Guides