- Paris, City of Light…and Contemporary Art?
- PARIS: Europe's MEGACITY
- The Chamwada Report 13th December 2015 – Episode 22 – Welcome to Paris, The City of Light
- Paris, Capital of the 19th Century
- Tiny House World: Petit Chateau in Paris (Season 1, Episode 5) | Full Episode | FYI
- Sexy Men of Paris | Style Spotting ★ Glam.com
- Paris' plans for Eiffel Tower area revamp unveiled – TomoNews
- Realistic diorama – Streets Of Paris
- in PARIS: art museums, cafés, creating & celebrating 🌹
- The French chef who learnt his trade in the UK takes Paris food scene by storm
A shimmering account of the nineteenth-century reinvention of Paris as the most beautiful, interesting city on the planet
In 1853, French emperor Louis Napoleon ushered in a vast and also enthusiastic program of public works in Paris, directed by Georges-Eugène Haussmann, the prefect of the Seine. Haussmann transformed the old medieval city of repulsive shanty towns as well as disease-ridden alleyways into a "City of Light" characterized by broad boulevards, home blocks, parks, squares and also public monuments, new rail terminals and also outlet store, and also a new system of public cleanliness. City of Light graphes this fifteen-year job of metropolitan revival which– despite the disturbances of battle, revolution, corruption, and insolvency– set a design template for 19th and very early twentieth-century metropolitan preparation as well as produced the long-lasting landscape of contemporary Paris now so well-known around the globe.
Lively as well as interesting, City of Light is a publication for any individual that wants to know exactly how Paris ended up being Paris.
- Hardcover: 224 pages
- Publisher: Basic Books (October 9, 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1541673395
- ISBN-13: 978-1541673397
- Product Dimensions: 5.8 x 1 x 7.8 inches
- Shipping Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Customer Reviews: 4.1 out of 5 stars21 customer ratings